Sunday, 10 February 2013

Food for thought

Lewis and I have been watching some Adventure Time recently, I gotta say, what a beautiful little world...!




It's very happy and sweet, but also thoughtful and considered, and funny and colourful...all great things!

When I was in year 12 I would sometimes have a break from studying or whatever to muck around on the internet - sometimes I would end up looking at realestate.com.au for rental properties much closer to the city, imagining what my life would be like when I could afford to move out. I've been getting a few more students now, and while my sights are certainly set on saving for an overseas trip right now, I can't help but wander over to that website still, and it's even more alluring now that I have a steadier income and a car and all that grown-up stuff. Food for thought, I guess. 

And as per usual I'm thinking about taking my obsession with what I eat to the next level, that is, going cold 'turkey' and cutting out all animal products. I know how extremely ~boring~ this talk is to most people but it's been something I've been wanting to try for a while and ya know, this is as good a time as any...further food for thought. I don't think I've ever been quite comfortable with the idea of eating something that was once living, or eating something produced by a living creature, when I don't know anything about their lives, or lack of.

A nice quote from the nice John Green:


What is an "instant" death anyway? How long is an instant? Is it one second? Ten? The pain of those seconds must have been awful as her heart burst and her lungs collapsed and there was no air and no blood to her brain and only raw panic. What the hell is instant? Nothing is instant. Instant rice takes five minutes, instant pudding an hour. I doubt that an instant of blinding pain feels particularly instantaneous.



No comments:

Post a Comment